Puffed sleeves, lace insets, Victorian and Edwardian details– I am not at all opposed to the proliferation of “romantic” tops making the rounds lately. As I like to say, my favorite style eras are the Victorian period, the 1970’s, and right the heck now. So lucky me, I’ve got all three this season.
If you’re looking to add some Victorian-inspired tops to your wardrobe, my goal is to make your search a piece of cake.
Today we’re covering:
- My picks — 14 romantic tops for Spring (new and vintage)
- How to quickly and easily find Victorian-esque tops online (including how I use Etsy keywords)
- 4 ways to wear this style without looking costume-y (and using pieces you might already own)
First off– let’s take a look at my favorite romantic tops from around the Webbers. If you’re looking for something vintage, something affordable, or something consciously made, I’ve got you.
Ready? Let’s dive right in.
This post contains affiliate links. When you shop using some links, you support Every Day Clothes. THANK YOU for being here! Note: The photo on the top left above is from fashion editor adenorah.
15 Romantic Tops for Spring (links below images)
- Puff Sleeve Top vintage
- Victorian Top vintage
- Edwardian Top vintage
- Thea Top by Emlee consciously made — I have this one and I cannot say enough great things about it. The fabric is beautiful and it’s reversible!
- Lottie Top
- Jane Blouse consciously made
- Blouse with Lace under $50 — on sale now
- Blouse with Smocking under $50 — on sale now
- Gingham Top under $50– similar here in cream linen
- Adele Top consciously made
- Embroidered Cotton Blouse
- Freda Lace Square Neck Top
- Puff Sleeve Jersey Top consciously made — gifted
- Stay Bold Button-Down This one is in my spring wardrobe and I love it.
- Victorian Top vintage
How to Quickly and Easily Find Vintage Romantic Tops on Etsy
Esty is full of of great vintage pieces (like the one I’m wearing here!). But wading through thousands of postings can be a drag. Here’s a few tips to make the search for great vintage easy and fast:
- Go To my Go-To shops: These vintage shops consistently carry original Victorian tops and 70’s and 80’s repros (which are also cool!): Rawson Chicago, Closet Case Vintage, Wild Irish Rose
- Use These Keywords: If you try your own search, start with these keywords: Victorian or Edwardian + top, blouse, shirt, or undergarment. Experiment with the combination that works best for you.
- More Keyword Ideas: You can narrow down your search by adding these keywords: lace inset, lace detail, pintuck, ruching, puff sleeves, puffed sleeve.
- Filter Your Search: Once you get your search results, tick the “vintage” box on the left hand side of the page. This filters out handmade reproductions.
- Filter Your Search by Color: Now tick the color boxes– I tick white, cream, beige, and brown, but you can choose pink, black– whatever you’re looking for.
And voila. You should now have a curated list of vintage tops ready for the harvest. Now what to wear with them?
How to Wear Romantic Tops: 4 Easy Outfit Formulas
I like to balance delicate tops out with a tomboy vibe. I’ve been wearing them with faded high rise denim, minimal shoes, and comfy underthings that look good if they show through. I find that adding some contemporary details, like a minimal shoe, avoids an all-over romantic or costume-y look. If you’re into a stronger vintage vibe, tell us how you do it in the comments!
Not shopping now? Good! You can use these formulas with pieces you probably already own. Just a a tee shirt, button up, or romantic top to any of these formulas and you’re ready to roll.
FORMULA 1: TOP + BLACK DENIM + BLACK BRA + BLACK SLIDES
FORMULA 2: TOP + FADED DENIM + NEUTRAL BRA + WALKABLE FLATS
FORMULA 3: TOP + FADED DENIM + SIMPLE BRA + WOVEN FLATS
FORMULA 4: TOP + LACY BRA + RICH BROWN SANDALS
And there you have it!
Now for your story
Which of these tops do you like best? Will you be trying any of these outfit formulas for Spring? I’d love to hear how you’re wearing ’em.